The Borough of Lakehurst is a civil service community. Lakehurst has a residency requirement for the position of full-time police officer. This means you must be a resident of the Borough of Lakehurst prior to employment. Being a civil service municipality, Lakehurst operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey Civil Service Commission (CSC). The New Jersey CSC regulates the employment, tenure, and discharge of Lakehurst employees. Visit nj.gov/csc under “Job Announcements” for more information on the testing process.
SLEO 1 & 2 Positions
All hiring for SLEO (Special Law Enforcement Officers) 1 & 2 positions will be selected from the Ocean County Chiefs of Police Exam. See attached flyer for more information.
HIRING NOTICE: Class III Special Police Officer
The Lakehurst Borough Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Class III Special Police Officer. The Class III Special Police Officer, under the direction the Chief of Police, shall conduct school safety and security duties within the Lakehurst Borough School District.
The applicant must:
- Be a resident of the State of New Jersey during his or her term of appointment to this position.
- Be able to read, write, and speak the English language with reasonable proficiency and possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Be sound in body and good health, which must be certified by a physician licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey.
- Be of good moral character and must not have been convicted of any offense involving dishonesty as would make the applicant unfit to perform his or her duties.
- The applicant must be retired law enforcement officer less than 65 years of age who served as a duly-qualified, fully trained, full-time police officer in any municipality or county of this state, , or as a member of the State Police, and was separated from that prior service in good standing with five years of appointment to this position.
- The applicant must be physically capable of performing the functions of the position in accordance with the Police Training Commission (PTC).
The applicant must possess a NJ Police Training Commission Basic Police Officer Certification or NJ State Police Academy Certification.
The applicant must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
The applicant must successfully pass a background investigation.
Applicants successfully passing the first phase will be subject to oral interviews.
Any applicant offered a conditional offer of employment will be required to pass a medical examination, psychological evaluation, and drug screening.
Preference may be given to retired police officer who previously served as a School Resource Officer (SRO), Juvenile Officer, or D.A.R.E./L.E.A.D. Instructor.
Starting Salary for the Class III Special Police Officer shall be $15.00 per hour and he/she shall work as assigned, while school is in session, to be determined upon hiring.
The Lakehurst Borough is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants shall be given full consideration.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to the Chief of Police at:
Lakehurst Borough Police Department
Attn: Chief Eric Higgins
530 Union Avenue
Lakehurst, NJ 08733
The Lakehurst Borough Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Lifeguard. The Lifeguards, under the direction of the Chief of Police, shall conduct lifeguard duties at Lake Horicon in the Borough of Lakehurst.
- Applicants must be 18 years old or older
- If not currently certified as a lifeguard, training and certification will be provided
- The position pays $11.00 an hour
If your are interested in applying for the position, please complete the below application. Completed applications may be dropped off at the Lakehurst Police Headquarters or emailed to Sgt. James at email@example.com. Please forward any questions about this position to Sgt. James.
The Lakehurst Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.